Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fort Larned






These pictures came from Fort Larned. They are the only ones I was able to take because my camera ran out of battery JUST after I took the one in front the of big National Historic Site sign. As it turned out, I left my charger in Coldwater and had to have it mailed to Salina. What a pain! Thanks to the Merritts, though, I was back in business before I knew it!

The Fort was only active about 19 years around the time of the Civil War. There were 4 re-enactors on duty that day, which was fun to see. The second to last picture is of a blacksmith, who made a wall hook for one of the visitors who was watching like we were. The last picture is of the bunkhouse. What we would consider slightly wider bunk beds would sleep 4 grown men! Visiting Fort Larned made me very thankful for our modern conveniences!

No comments:

Post a Comment